Thursday, February 1, 2007

Distract yourself

Simple advice, and what I tell many people suffering varying levels of emotional distress.

Just don't think about it.

There is nothing to worry about.

You're making it worse by worrying about it.

Somehow, none of those 'truths' can get through to me when I need to hear them most. I suspect it is because I know there is something to worry about, dammit, I'm worried, aren't I?


How I think about something doesn't change its outcome 99% of the time. If I worry that he isn't home yet, that he's been in a wreck, that doesn't make it more or less likely to be true, does it?

Here are the two sides: I am having emotions about a subject. The emotions are unpleasant.

There is no basis for the emotion -- say fear -- that is evident. So why be afraid?

Both can be true but I find holding both to be difficult. Yes, there is no monster under the bed. Yes, I am terrified anyway.

Yes, I am terrified anyway, and feel weary of living in fear.

2 comments:

Bleeding Heart said...

Having Bipolar Disorder, I struggle with Paranoia all the time and fear...I hate being home alone at night sometimes - depending on my mood, of course.

It is SO hard not to think about it..because Paranoia is more than just dwelling and "thinking" about things...its a form of Psychosis.

The mind messing with your head, playing tricks on you...I hate it sometimes...

I've been OK though, pretty good for awhile. But shit! It is amazing how the Fear and Paranoia can control your life for those moments...

But "Distracting Yourself" is great advice for the "Normal" yet suddle fears, I think.:)

Polar Bear said...

Just me,
Thanks - what a great blog! I will definately return.

I thought I'd trademarked "Worlds best therapist" myself!! ;)

Polar B.