Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What I want

I know that I can't have some of the things I want in life. I still want them.

Is this a matter of stubbornness? Will? Is this a symptom of borderline personality disorder? I read about projection recently and came away with this nugget:

When I feel a certain way about something, I may project those feelings onto someone else. I love the holidays, and I may simply assume that those around me do, too. I may have big trouble even contemplating that someone around me doesn't really like the holidays and would be just as happy skipping them.

I keep thinking: "But if that person were to have the holidays with me, we would have fun. It would be a different way of experiencing things, and maybe it would be different." Or "No one can hate the holidays."

Yes, I understand projection. I wonder if I am unaware of the times I do it. I know that some issues have much greater saliency to me than they do to others, and I know it feels frustrating when I can't express that saliency well enough to make others feel it as strongly as I do.

This is a project for me.

No comments: