Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Just Grow Up

Over in the LiveJournal borderline community, a thoughtful post asked:
What is up with that "pull yourself up by your psychological bootstraps" mentality that is so everywhere? I keep encountering this attitude that if I'm depressed, well, then,I just need to do somethng about it! If I don't like my life, I need to change it! I need to snap out of it! Stuff like that.When I was a kid and anyone was upset about anything, they were told to "Grow up."


Here's my comment to her
.

Suck it up. Snap out of it. Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

That's the rhythm of what I tell myself now: Stop feeling that way. Stop crying. Stop letting it hurt.

Then, when I do things I don't like, like yelling at my kids, I say: Stop doing that. Don't ever do that again. You are the worst mother on the planet. I will never do that again. Stop it. Snap out of it, you stupid woman.

I feel as if I should beat the crap out of myself for every wrong. I should punish myself for making mistakes or bad choices. I should suffer for causing anyone else pain. I should Stop.

The problem with that, of course, is that it hasn't worked. It's a strategy I have been trying for decades of my life with no effect. I still make mistakes and stupid choices. I still yell at my kids. I still scream into my pillow. I still do.

The strategy I'd rather employ, and one I'm edging up to, is to forgive myself small transgressions. To allow myself to feel what I feel. To be what I am. If I feel like crying, cry. If I feel hurt, hurt. I tell myself to stop sucking it up. Stop it. Be what you feel. I give myself permission to feel.

I can't do it all the time, but I'm trying. I'm trying to be one percent less black and white than I was yesterday. One percent less hateful toward myself. One percent. One incident. One hateful word less.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

to forgive myself small transgressions

Yes. I know I should do this too. I just don't understand why it is so hard.